Friday, May 4, 2012

Its the thought that counts right?

Today I got permission from the hospital to bring the kids to visit Casey. When I talked to his nurse on the phone I told her how the kids are really missing him. Especially the 2yr old, he's noticed big time Daddy's not here and has cried for Daddy a few times (so heart breaking).

Since I got the go ahead to bring them I thought it would be nice to let Eli "help" me make some cookies for Daddy. As I was getting started I tried to set everything out I needed ahead of time. Clearly I didn't get everything and the following story is quite funny I must admit.

I noticed as I got the sugar out of the cabinet that there was hardly any there. The recipe I was using called for 1 cup. It was going to be close, I poured it into a measuring cup. Ugh just a little over 1/2 cup, SO CLOSE! So I think to myself "Self how do we want to handle this?" I answer "well if I were you I would suggest cutting the recipe in half" "But you see self, whenever I do that I tend to forget on a couple of ingredients that I'm cutting it in half and end up making the whole batch." "Well then, I would suggest you see if you can find a sub for sugar." So I call my Aunt and get her advice, "Do you have powder sugar?" (Self goes and checks) "Yes I have 3 bags of it (don't ask)". She suggested trying that since its just really finely ground up sugar anyway. So I top off the cup with powder sugar. I mix the butter and sugar and go to get the eggs. "Well darn self! We're out of eggs!" "Well then, self would suggest we look up an egg less recipe for said cookies". I'm really starting to feel like split personalities. I follow my suggestion and find a recipe online for egg less choc chip cookies. But it requires less sugar then I originally needed. SO I consider starting over when I realized, I had no more sugar. So I decide to just take what it suggests you use instead of eggs which was 1/2 cup of oil and I continue. I am letting Eli help me so he is dumping the stuff into the bowl for me. We add the vanilla and stir it all up, then I start adding the dry stuff.... Flour.... Salt.....Baking soda......... Umm baking soda..... You have GOT to be kidding me! No baking soda? So I think for a minute, well what could happen if I don't use baking soda? I ruin the batch its probably already ruined at it is. So I says to myself again "Self, what should we use instead of baking soda?" I answer myself "Well since baking soda has a salty taste to it I would imagine maybe a tad bit more flour and maybe just a pinch more salt would work" "Brilliant!" "Why thank you I think so too!" After congratulating myself on such a clever idea I add the extras and pour it into the mixer. Eli likes watching the mixer mix, after its all mixed in I lift the kitchenaid blade up and pull a chunk of dough off the blade and take a test. Its a tad wet still and salty... So Maybe add just a smidge more flour. If you are wondering what a smidge is well its more then a pinch but less then an 1/8 cup. So I add it and mix it up, now it has the right consistency altho fluffy and a little more crumbly. Eli follows my example and takes a taste and goes "Mmmmmm! Mmmmmm" Ha.

So we scoop it onto cookie sheets and I stick it in the oven. At first they weren't melting down like most do so I thought they weren't going to flatten out at all. So the next pan I mush them down a little. Finally the first batch is um done. Well kinda, yes and no. You see the edges got brown and crunchy but the middles didn't cook. It also had a really grainy texture. I finally admitted defeat and trashed the cookies. The remaining dough is in the fridge to be consumed raw later when I'm feeling lonely and missing my hubby.

Ok so now that you got an entertaining story I'll give a quick update on the hubs. After all these were for him who is sick and laying in a hospital bed.

I take the kids to see him, we pull up and I already have a plan, I'm going to hook Eli's little leash that goes to his back pack puppy (one of those kids harnesses/leash things) to his overalls straps so I don't have to mess with the whole back pack thing. I put Willa in our little stroller and Eli on his leash. The little umbrella stroller is the perfect size for Eli to be able to push. Plus its small and doesn't take up a lot of space. I let Eli push the stroller and I hold one handle to help steer while holding on to his leash to keep everything going smoothly. We get inside and the volunteers sitting up front about fall over themselves about how cute both kids and what a great big brother Eli is. We go upstairs and make our way to Casey's room. People in the elevator are "awwwing" over both kids whose both cheesing at them big time.

Both kids enjoyed some much needed (over 2hrs) of Daddy time. You can tell Daddy really enjoyed them too!

Casey tells me he's feeling a little better, he ate dinner but he was getting hungry again (a good sign). The nurse comes in and talks to us about stuff. Casey had finally coughed up a good mucus wad for them to take and have a culture run on. Seriously I thought I heard some cheering going on when I was still at the house. That must have been it.
I ask the nurse if they are hoping to discharge him this weekend or was that just his wishful thinking (in nicer words of course) she said they are hoping to discharge him if they can get his pain under control and if they can get him to stop spiking a fever. Casey tells her he's only had 1 dose of morphine for the day and he'll probably just let her give him another tonight to help him sleep. However he has had other pain meds too, hopefully tomorrow it will be better.

So he was looking a lot better and talking a lot, his mom came to visit him while we were there and everything was nice and drama free. She brought some goodies for the kids, some mum-mums (little rice things for babies to chew on that both kids LOVE) and some toddler snacks and baby snacks.

After over 2hrs we headed home, Grandma parked next to us so we all walked out together and she helped get the kiddo's in the car.

Both kids are now sound asleep and hopefully I will join them soon!

Thanks for the prayers they have been felt a great deal during this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment