Friday, May 4, 2012

Update on Casey

This morning I called the hospital at 6am to check in on Casey. I didn't want to wake him if he was sleeping but I was up feeding the baby and thought I'd check in. They said he slept decently for being the first night in the hospital and them having to go in and check on him every couple of hours. They said he still hasn't been able to cough up any mucus for them to run a culture on (my thoughts are that's not a good sign). She said he ran a fever again and they had to give him some meds for that.

This morning Casey texted me that he was awake and eating. Sadly I was so exhausted I didn't even look at the phone till about an hour later. I knew he was in a safe place though, I called him and he said that he feels a tad better. Still having severe pain and they are having to give him morphine every 4 to 6hrs. He was able to keep down breakfast which was good.

A little bit later he called and said that the lung Dr had just been there. Yes I know what they are called, no I can't spell it so I'm not even going to try. LOL
He said that the Dr told him that there is a mass either next to his lungs or IN his lungs (they can't tell) he said that it has an unusual shape to it. This Dr is thinking that maybe its some sort of fungal infection, last night I had actually been thinking about how we need to make sure and let them know that he IS an electrician and that he has been working on some older houses lately and been in some rather old attics. The Dr said as far as asbestos is concerned it would be unlikely because he's not old enough to show that kind of damage yet if that was an issue. They said the attic thing though could be something, especially if its an old house that has had problems with bats in the past. Their poo can cause a fungal infection of this sort, they also be caused by Radon. So hoping THATS not it. They said if it comes back that way then we need to have our basement checked and probably all of us. The argument with that theory is that you would think the rest of us would be equally sick. However (while I'm not trying to say I think its the case) the kids and Casey have all been sick a lot lately. Me personally either I haven't been or I have been ignoring it or not noticing it due to dealing with everyone else. I have been telling Casey for the past week that I am just tired of everyone being sick and it seems to be an endless cycle. Just as I think we're all on the mend someone else gets sick. Willa is currently on meds for what is thought to be either strep or an ear infection. Both looked red on Monday at her Dr's appointment. So that thought scares me a little.

Also the Dr said this could all be related from when Casey was sick with bronchitis back in Jan (which I have said I don't think he ever fully recovered and I thought it was pneumonia from the get go). Also said it could be connected to the fact that Casey fell off a ladder around Oct. While he went to the Dr they didn't do x-rays but now they are wondering if that caused more damage then they had thought originally. 

So the Dr told Casey that he wants to do a urine test for the fungus. He said on Mon he will have Casey do another CT scan. Casey is interpreting the way he said it as he is going to let him leave the hospital this weekend and have him come back for the CT scan. I don't think that's it I think the Dr just meant come back to radiology. But we'll see I guess, if the CT shows that the mass is smaller and making improvement they will continue the course they are on. If not then the Dr will do a procedure where they take a camera down his throat and biopsy the mass and lymph nodes around it and possibly even remove the mass or most of it at that time. So we'll see what happens over the next few day, it sounds like at this time that Dr doesn't think its pneumonia but he also told Casey that Cancer is highly unlikely at Casey's age. So I guess now we're praying for a fungal infection that is caused by working in older houses and NOT OUR house.

Casey also told me when I was there today that he had to take a potassium pill because his was low due to not being able to eat or keep anything down yesterday. Last night they had him on IV fluids to help with hydration. Today they took it down to just half of what they were giving him which is good.

Please continue to pray for things between my mother in law and myself. I don't want to make her sound like a bad person because she's not, she's a wonderful person but in times of stress like this she over reacts and its all drama drama drama.  So please pray that she will calm down. I don't need this added stress on top of everything else, it makes it hard because she is the number 1 person I rely on for baby sitting. Thankfully I do have several people that have offered to help watch the kids that I think I'm going to take full advantage of.

We are so blessed to have such a wonderful church family!

Also be praying for Casey's pain to go away, he doesn't like having to be on the morphine at all. He says when they first give it to him it makes him dizzy and a heavy feeling on his chest which is common. It goes away in about 5min he said but he hates that feeling.

I am so thankful that Casey is in a hospital so close to our home, that has been amazing for me to be able to only drive 5min to get to hospital. It allows me to spend my time with him more then driving.
Also we have some amazing kids, While Eli seems to noticed Daddy missing and is acting up a little bit (not bad) and seems to want more snuggles. Willa is being an angel, the one who is normally so fussy with strangers has been awesome with Grandma and my aunt being here with them instead of me. I shouldn't say its just strangers, even people she see's often she doesn't like it if I leave without her. She's at that age, today my awesome Aunt brought her 2 youngest over to watch the kids for me. Faith who is 4 and Patrick who is just 5 days younger then Willa. She said Willa and Patrick played on the floor almost the entire time jabbering at each other and trying to out squeal each other. She even got a picture of all 4 kids sitting on the couch watching Sesame Street together. Ha so cute!

Thank you everyone for your prayers, I will continue the updates as I get them.

No comments:

Post a Comment