Wednesday, June 20, 2012

On the mend

After Casey's surgery on Monday when I got to see him he looked really bad. I wasn't able to see him for very long as it was getting late and my mother in law needed to be able to go home. Around 8:30pm he called me and sounded so much better. We chatted for a bit and he said he was feeling much better. He's been improving ever since.

Yesterday I was able to visit him twice, in the afternoon while I was there they made him get up and walk down the hall. He had so many things hooked up to him he had to push a little shopping cart to carry all his equipment. It was slow going for him and he couldn't go very far, he said that was his second walk and they were going to make him walk 4 times total for the day.

Last night a friend from church who has babysat the kids for us a few times so we could go on a date offered to bring us some dinner and to watch the kids for a bit so I could go visit Casey. When I got there he had a visitor (someone from church). Shortly after he left I was talking to Casey and I asked him if he's gotten some rest. His response was "No I've been to busy" the nurse was in there at the time doing some stuff as I laughed and said "Oh really? Busy laying in bed all day huh?" Of course I knew better, resting in the hospital is not that easy. Nurses in and out every hour or so (if not more) visitors and well wishers, machines going off, noisy visitors to other rooms in the halls etc. Trust me I KNOW. But it was amusing to me the comment about being to busy. I was able to spend a couple of hours with him before coming home to get the kids to bed etc. I had asked the nurse if it would be ok for me to bring the kids to see him the next morning and she said yes.

This morning we got up, had breakfast and let the kids play for a bit. Around 11 we started getting ready to go see Daddy. We finally got loaded up and got to the hospital just before 12. Eli wasn't so sure about all the machines around Daddy. Although there are less.... He no longer has the IV in, he still has the chest tube and the epidural. At the time Casey's Grandpa (Papa) and Sally (Girlfriend) as well as Papa's brother and his wife were there. Talk about a loud crowd, anyway Willa just kinda sat there in her stroller taking it all in. Neither kid was really very interested in sitting on the bed with him. I think there was just to much strange stuff going on. The other guests left and it didn't take long for Eli to start getting into trouble... My little climber kept trying to climb on the bed frame under the raised head of the bed. Of course I didn't want to let him just in case there was a failure or something. So we ended up needing to leave.

Casey was looking a lot better this morning, was sitting up in bed with his blankets off. He said he had been able to "jog" down the hall but was sore from it. His color is looking better and better, he said he's able to breathe better and better and the pain is going away. The chest tube causes pain in his right shoulder and that has been his biggest complaint. Today they had to give him another medication because what they were giving him wasn't effective. While we were there his Surgeon came in and checked him over, he said that Casey is going to have to keep the chest tube in a couple more days because he's still having more fluid then they would like drain out of it. He said it shouldn't effect Casey coming home though (yet he didn't tell us what day he thought he'd come home). He said Casey is healing very nicely though and was pleased to hear Casey was up and walking around.

Some of the other things we've had come up at this time is starting to fall into place too. Eli is almost completely healed. He still has a good sized blister on the end of his tongue but it doesn't seem to be causing him any pain or not that much. Today he's actually eaten a bit even had some fries so it seemed the salt didn't bother him much. He's back to his ornery self picking on his little sister who this week has started to fight back a little. When he tried pushing her she stood her ground and actually pushed back.

We've had a young man from church offer to come over and take care of the mowing for us. I'm going to give it a few days before calling him cause its not that long right now.

Then today I got a call from one of the guys from church who owns a shop. He had heard that my car has been acting up and wanted to look at it for me. He asked if I could bring it into the shop and I explained I had no way of doing that. So he said he could come pick it up! So he came with one of his boys and they picked up my car, it is at the shop now being looked over. Praise God! I hope its nothing serious and something easily fixed.


I have been completely overwhelmed (in a good way) by things people are doing for us. We have had so many people praying for us and going to visit Casey at the hospital and willing to do things for us and the meals people have been providing. Even had someone at church left me a message today on facebook that she had several jars of baby food that they weren't going to use and asked if Willa would eat it. Willa eats everything! So I told her that yes we could use them. Just all the little (and big) things that have helped make this easier on us both. Most of all the prayers, Casey's recovery is going well and that is a direct answer to all the prayers.

Also having my younger sister who is 30 but has some mental delays. She can't stay a lone with the kids really but she is a BIG help in entertaining the kids and changing diapers or even helping me wrangle the kids at the hospital. She has really helped me keep my sanity.  She has even ever so sweetly washed up the dishes a few times for me even though I never asked her to! She has done that while I was gone at the hospital. She is a blessing to me this week!

Thank you all! From the bottom of our hearts! You don't know what it means to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment