Monday, June 18, 2012

Surgery is done, now for recovery.

Casey had his surgery today to remove the tumor on his right lung. We arrived at the hospital at 10am and right away they took him back to prep him. One of the pastoral staff at our church was already there and waiting when we arrived. He wasn't able to go back with us till right before they wheeled Casey back for surgery. For nearly 2hrs they were prepping him and such, they took some blood, did an ekg, shaved his chest (just the right side mind you!) and then took some more blood. Finally around 11:30 Pastor Luke was able to come in with another member of our church and together (along with Casey's father who showed up for support) prayed over him before the nurses came in and wheeled him to the OR.

One of the things I thought was really cool was when Pastor Luke and Scott came in to pray the nurses cleared out for us. After a few minutes they asked if we were done and Pastor Luke asked for just a couple more minutes. When we opened the door they were all waiting patiently by the door for us to finish. I thought that was really special.

So he went to the OR around Noon, his Dr had come in and talked to us and said that once they get to the OR it will probably be another hour or so BEFORE they make the first cut. I failed to convey that message to my mother in law who thought the surgery would only last an hour and a half. At 1:45 she called me somewhat panicked and asked if we'd heard anything. It was then I realized I had not told her they said it would probably be later then the Noon start time, she was a LITTLE more comfortable about it but I could still hear the stress in her voice. Around 2:15pm the nurse called me from the OR, said that Dr had made his first cut at 1:10pm and he was still mapping the area to get to the lung. She said that part can take a long time and if the surgery lasts longer the 2 more hours she will call me with an update.

So I called my mother in law (lesson learned) and updated her. She was worried about why it was taking so lung. Finally around 3:40 the Dr came in and pulled me into the consultation room and told me that everything went smoothly. He said that the tumor was so big it was almost completely blocking Casey's airways, actually from the way he described it, it sounds like it was actually bigger but it was at the end of the airway so it was sticking out a little. He said "Imagine this pen is the airway and its like having a marble stuck in side there". He said there was a lot of scar tissue around the lung from the pneumonia he'd had and that's why it took so long to map. He said everything else looked strong and healthy and he should recover really well. He said Casey would be in the recovery for about 2hrs before being transferred upstairs.

Around 5:30 the nurse called me and told me they were getting ready to take him upstairs to his room, she told me to go ahead on up to that floor and wait in the waiting room there and she would come and get me in about 30min. Around 6:30 I realized it had been a REALLY long time and went to ask at the nurses station. I was told "Oh yes he's in his room! You can go on in" So finally I get to go in and see him, when I walked in he was facing the window and when he turned as I tapped on the door the look on his face like he was about to cry at seeing me almost made me cry. He was/is very groggy still, after visiting with him for a few minutes I told him I was going to go back to the waiting room and tell my mom who was there with me and my sister. They came back for a few minutes then left to bring my sister back to my house who is staying with me this week. She can't babysit the babies by herself but she is a big help to a weary mommy. After they left I was sitting there talking to him. He told me he was alive and he thanks God for his protection. I sat in a chair by his bed holding his hand as he drifted in and out of sleep. Finally it seemed he was asleep for awhile so I rested my head on the little table by his bed. Shortly after I felt his other hand on mine as he told me I needed to go home and see our kids (who I haven't seen yet today since we left before they got up) and get some rest myself. He doesn't have his cell phone so no one will bother him tonight.

So the tumor is gone, its been taken to pathology for testing just to make sure its what they think it is. Other then that, I look forward to getting this chapter of our lives over with. He will be in the hospital for about 5 days or so. He does have tubes coming out of the incision to drain any extra blood,air and such and to keep from getting an infection. They said those will come out in 2 to 3 days.

Thank you all for your prayers and continue to pray for quick recovery and healing.

Also Eli is almost completely back to his old self. He won't eat a lot still but is at least eating some and hasn't had any pain medication today at all. So it looks like we're over the worst of that part too thankfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment